Today was the day for Mabel to get her oil changed. There’s always a huge debate about which kind of oil to use in these old cars, but we won’t get into a debate about that, I’ll just let you know what I use and what works for me. I always start with getting the car as level as possible, running the engine long enough to get the old oil nice and warm so it’ll drain easily. I remove the oil drain plate (10mm) and let the oil drain into the oil catcher. I’ll let the oil drain for at least 30 minutes or so. This is also a good opportunity to tidy up the bottom of the engine, removing any oil and dirt from the cooling fins. I also like to give the oil drain plate a fresh coat of paint, just to make it look nice. Oil changing kits are readily available and pretty cheap. Most will come with new copper washers, gaskets and a oil strainer. If you’re re-using your oil strainer, just clean it good with a degreaser and make sure there isn’t any sludge in it. I usually use the strainer twice before replacing it with a new one. When you put your oil drain plate back on, make sure you use the correct washers and have the gaskets in the correct place. Do not over tighten the nuts that hold the plate in place. Just hand tighten them. My engine requires 2.65 quarts of oil, your engine probably requires the same amount. I use 2.15 quarts of Rotella T 15w-40 and .5 of the STP oil additive. I use the oil additive for its zinc content. Your air cooled engine will love this combination!
I’ve been looking for one of these for a few weeks now and finally found one on Ebay at a very reasonable price. Not only that, but it’s only about 50 miles away from where I live. Just wanted it as a staging prop for car shows. Nothing says the 60’s like a nice transistor radio. Best of all, it’s new old stock in the box and it works!
Got my new trunk liner from Wolfsburg West today. Very pleased with the fit, quality and price (minus the cost of shipping which was more than the cost of the product). Just what Mabel needed to dress out the trunk a bit. Made from the same material as the original liner, you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference.
Ever since I got the radio installed in the Beetle, there was this vibration coming from the speaker grill any time the volume was turned up. Took out the grill today and determined that the vibration sound was the wire mesh that sits between the speaker grill and the speaker. At some point in Mabel’s life, some body had installed a piece of vinyl between the speaker grill and the opening for the speaker to keep air from coming through, so I removed that and secured the wire mesh with double sided tape…no more vibration and with the vinyl removed, it sounds so much better.
After owning Ruby for a few months now, we finally got around to getting her windows tinted. This morning, Lenora took her to Pro Tint to have 15% put on all around. I usually go with 5% all around, but this car is hard enough to see out of without tint, so we decided to go a shade lighter. Still dark, but not too dark. Very pleased with the results.
The OG arm rests / handles that I ordered for Mabel came in the mail yesterday, so I got them installed this evening. Now we can shut the doors without rolling down the windows. Had been looking for originals at a decent price for a couple of months and finally came across a set the other day on TheSamba.com. Thanks to Ralph Hopper (user TSVW) for a great deal and extremely fast shipping.
The previous owner of Mabel had about 95% of the interior restored when I bought her. One thing that has bugged me was the lack of arm rests on the door panels, my guess is that they ditched the old ones when the door panels were replaced. Have been looking for months for a good deal on OG arm rests and finally came across one the other day while searching the classified’s on TheSamba.com. Got in contact with the seller and he made me a deal that I couldn’t resist. 20 bucks for OG arm rests and mounting hardware that are in excellent condition. Couldn’t pass up the deal, hopefully they’ll be here in a few days. Now I just have to get the door panels off without screwing them up.
Between last night and this evening, I got a lot done on the deck lid wall light. Got the shelf stained and sealed, it turned out exactly the way that I wanted it to. Made a trip to Hobby Lobby and picked up the light for the license plate hood. Got all of the wiring secured. Modified the license plate hood so the light would fit properly. Put everything together and hung it for a test fitting. I’m already working on another unit for a friend of mine, so I’m using the orange license plate hood until I can get my blue one put back one. Still waiting for the seal for the license plate hood, hopefully that will be here tomorrow or Friday and I can wrap this project up and call it complete. I’m very happy with the way it has turned out so far. Hope to get a pic of the finished product in a day or two.
Got the seal for license plate hood in the mail today, so I buttoned up this project. So I ended up with less than 20 dollars in the whole project, but keep in mind, many of the parts where donated. Looking forward to finishing another one for a friend who donated some parts to this one. I’m very, very pleased with the way it turned out.