Category Archives: VW Beetle
Had a busy night after work today. Was going to wait until tomorrow to tackle these projects, but it was so nice outside that I decided to do it this evening. Cracked open a few Michelob Ultra’s, restarted the first season of Breaking Bad on the garage tv and went to work. First task was to remove the front seats. They came out surprisingly easy. Next I cleaned up the seat frame and rails on the floor pan and gave them a fresh coat of paint. Made a jig to hold the springs that assist in moving the seat frontwards and backwards and gave them a fresh coat of paint. While all of that was drying, I installed the new e-brake boot. What a pain in the ass that was! But after a few choice words and a couple of beers, I finally got it on. I also got power to the new vintage fog lights. I know that they’re not everybody’s cup of tea, but I like them. They come on when the low beams are on. I also have the indicator on the speedo come on when the fog lights are on. I’m using the ATF temperature light since mine is not an auto stick. I also installed my new Hurst style shifter. Ended up being much easier than I thought it’d be. Then I cleaned up the seat rails, gave them a quick sanding and a fresh coat of paint, then put everything back together. Whole process took the entire first season of Breaking Bad and about 8 beers. All in all, I’m very satisfied.
Got some toys in the mail today, so I played around a little before leaving for work. Replaced the vacuum lines just to freshen them up a bit. Also mocked in the fog lights to see what they’re going to look like. I’m very pleased with the brackets that hold the lights in place. I’ll dwell on it for a couple of days, then decide if this is the placement that I want. But for now, I’m diggin’ the look. Also got my EMPI shifter (Hurst style). I’m somewhat surprised I didn’t get any installation instructions though. I’m sure it’s not rocket science to get it installed, but I’m sure there’s more to it than just unbolting the old and installing the new.
Finished with the oil bath freshening. Let the paint cure over night and this morning. Very pleased with the result. May try to find the missing parts for the cable control flap. Since this was a one year only design, it may be hard to find. Next project in the engine bay is to clean up the engine bay insulation.
Raining outside, so I decided to freshen up the oil bath. Had planned to do it this weekend anyhow. Removed the clips and cleaned them up. Spent a few hours prepping for paint, then gave it a few fresh coats. I’ll let it dry over night and in to tomorrow, then put it back on. Also mounted my front license plate on the new bumper. Got shipment notices for the amber fog lamps and mounts that I ordered from EISParts.com. Can’t wait to get them installed, but that will be next weekends project.
Swapped out the oil sending unit with a new one today. The old sending unit only worked when it wanted to, so a new one was a cheap, easy fix. I also fixed an issue I was having with the directional light in the speedo when the turn signals where turned on. Outside turn signal lights worked fine, emergency flashers worked fine, but the directional light in the speedo only worked with the emergency flashers, not the turn signals. Modified the wiring to the flasher relay to fix the problem, now everything works as it should.
Started early this morning with the anticipation of my new bumpers being delivered by UPS. Installed the bumper brackets that I spent all evening yesterday cleaning, sanding and painting. I’m very pleased with the way they turned out, they look brand new. I also gave the horn the once over. Cleaned it and hit it with a fresh coat of paint. I also installed my ’68 speedo that I refurbished the other day. The ’69 speedo that I refurbished last week was working very well, but I really needed to know if I solved the problem with the speedo whine in the ’68. So while I waited for my UPS delivery, I swapped speedos and hit the road. Smiles from cheek to cheek! The ’68 speedo works perfectly and is quiet as a mouse! And the new gels look awesome. I wouldn’t hesitate taking on this task again, may even do it on the side for people who want to give their speedo a fresh look. Now that I know the ’68 speedo is good to go, the ’69 speedo will go to the classifieds. UPS arrived around noon with my Brazilian bumpers. Carrying them from the UPS truck I quickly noticed one big different between them and the bumpers I removed from the car. They weigh about 1/3 less. I unpack them, give them once over and for the most part, I’m pleased. Definitely not the same quality of the OG bumpers, but for my application they’ll be fine. My next concern was fitment. I’ve read horror stories about these bumpers not fitting well at all. But I actually had these installed in about 25 minutes. They fit perfectly. I used the same bolts that I removed from the OG bumpers, but opted for new washers and nuts. For the price, I couldn’t be happier, but if this car was going to be left outside in the weather, I’d be real concerned. Look at the pics and judge for yourself. Over all, a very productive day!