Category Archives: Classic VW Beetle
Been wanting to do this for a while now and now it’s time. I don’t always drive in the slow lane and even backing in the garage would be a lot easier with a passenger side door mirror. I’ve opted to use an OEM style mirror and mount rather than use a Ghia style mount with a Beetle convertible mirror. Mounting to the outside of the door would definitely be easier, but I want it to match the driver door mirror. Parts are readily available and total costs should be under 50 dollars. Drilling the hole for the mirror will be the biggest challenge, using a pilot hole and a step drill bit, cutting a little at a time. Mid America Motorworks has provided nice step by step instructions and a template that I’ve included in the link below.
Finished sanding all of the edges, getting everything symmetrical. Applied 2 layers of felt to give it a little padding. I think I’m going to use the same vinyl that I used for the trunk liner. Will hopefully have everything wrapped up this weekend.
So I decided to start on the rear shelf project today. I’d priced some online, but just can’t justify paying 60 dollars for a flimsy piece of material when I can build something a bit more beefy for a lot less. I wanted something strong that I may end up mounting speakers beneath, but still light enough that it can be easily removed. So I decided to make my own rear shelf out of 1/2″ plywood that will be covered either in carpet to match the interior or some type of industrial material that will blend well. Remember to measure twice and cut once. Got this one on the first try, test fitted perfectly and it gives the look that I”m going for with the stability of heavier material. I glued and screwed a support that will keep the shelf from bowing or sagging over time. All that’s left to do is find the right material to cover it. That search begins tomorrow. And the best part, other than my time, it hasn’t cost anything……yet!
Treated Mabel to some new keys. I was very surprised how the prices for blanks online varied from 5 dollars to 35 dollars. I found 2 blanks on Ebay for 8 dollars and free shipping so I jumped on them. Had them cut at a local Walmart and they work like a charm.
Got a car guy or gal in your family? Especially a VW enthusiast! What a great gift this would be for them. Show your support for the Kentucky Old Volks Home by purchasing one of these quality (made in the USA) t-shirts for the car enthusiast in your family!
Finished installing the 3rd brake light today. Turned out exactly the way that I wanted it to. It’s new, but still has a hint of a vintage look. And boy is it bright, it’ll certainly get peoples attention at night. I also installed my European tag that I ordered from customeuropeanplates.com. 68 for the year, KY for the state, then E272 which is my historical plate number. It also came with a free mounting bracket. Very pleased with the quality.
So I’ve started on another project that may appeal to some and may be repulsive to others, but hey, it’s my Beetle and I’ll do what I want. lol Anyhow, I wanted to add a 3rd brake light but keep the vintage look without paying the price for a vintage brake light. So I turned to Speedway Motors to see if they had a red lens lamp that would match the amber fog lights that I installed a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, they only offered amber and clear. As a matter of fact, finding a red lens fog light is pretty much impossible and since I wanted the style to match my amber fog lights, I ordered the clear lamp from Speedway Motors, ordered a bumper bracket to mount it on and set out to find a way to make it red. While waiting for the goodies to arrive, I went ahead and did the wiring for the new lamp. That took all of 5 minutes. I thought about replacing the bulb with a red bulb, but finding a red bulb that would work was also impossible. Then I thought about making a gel that I could put behind the lens. Again, these lamps from Speedway Motors are really nice, built to last and of course, they’re sealed. So that blew out the gel idea. While researching, I came across this product by VHT specifically for clear lenses. It’s used to make them red or it can be used to freshen up your already red lenses. It stated that it’d work on glass, so I figured I’d give it a try. If it didn’t work, it’d be easy enough to remove and I’d be back to square one. My bracket won’t be here until Friday, but the lamp arrived today. So I took it apart, prepped the lens and gave the VHT product a try. I’d already tested it on a piece of plexi-glass that I had laying around and it worked wonderfully, but I still wasn’t sure how it’d work on a glass lens. I gave the lens a total of 3 coats, waiting 15 minutes in between each coat. This stuff dries very fast, applies very smoothly and is very easy to work with. After 3 coats and about 8 hours of drying time, I put the lamp back together and tested it with the wiring that I’d already installed. I think it looks great, now I just have to wait for the bracket mount to arrive.