Category Archives: Classic VW Beetle

Mabel Doing Better, But Not 100%

Clean CarbCarb ApartCarb JetsCarbon!Here are the preliminary results….drum roll…I took the carb off and pulled it apart…very clean looking, but I removed all the jets and cleaned them with carb cleaner, blew them all with 60 psi….all openings in the carb were cleaned with carb cleaner and blown out as well…float floated, so no issue there…As I mentioned before, I’m not a carb guy and while we can never be 100% sure, I’m 99.9% sure that this carb is clean…installed the carb, threw in a little starting fluid to get her going and of course, she fired right up…idled fine for about 40 seconds then began to spit and sputter, but not nearly as bad as before…she didn’t die…I began to adjust the volume control by first turning it all of the way in, then backing it out 4 turns, the bypass screw all the way in, the back out 2.5 turns. Idle was still rough, so I backed the bypass screw out 4 more turns and the volume control out 2 more turns….idle was better and she didn’t die…I let it run for about 15 minutes at idle, giving it some gas every few minutes….engine was good and hot…so, better than before, but here’s what I discovered…intake was still ice cold…heat riser on 3 and 4 cylinder was a little warm, but far from hot….heat riser on the 1 and 2 cylinder was very warm, but not extremely hot….main body of the intake was cold….so, that’s where I’m at…it idles (not ideally, but it idles)…so, what I’m thinking is that my vintage Abath exhaust may need replacing (possibly)….exhaust is still very, very rich smiling, I reek of carbon monoxide…lol garage is full of it and I have to open the door to breath….You can see in the pic above the exhaust residue on my leg, still very rich. I’m still confident that it’s running too rich, how to adjust that, I don’t know….I’m also confident that fuel has made its way into the case…I changed the oil about 200 miles ago and it’s already very thin….and a bit fuller than it should be…

Having Some Issues

New GoodiesFixed DistributorNew IntakePainted IntakeAs I mentioned in a previous post, I ran into some trouble with Mabel. First thought it may have been the idle shut off valve and that still could’ve been part of the problem due to a loose connection, but it had nothing to do with the issue of the carb freezing and the car not idling after the motor was hot. Cold, the car would start right up, run fine for about 10 minutes or until hot, then it would not idle at all. I could hear a percolating sound coming from the carb and the base of the carb was freezing cold. That made me take a long look at the intake. Though the intake looks fine (fresh coat of paint when I bought it), it does appear to be the original intake and it is possible that the intake tubes are clogged with carbon. So, I decided to go ahead and order a new intake from CIP1.com. And while I’m at it, I thought I’d go ahead and order some new points, rotor, condenser and distributor cap from JBugs.com. As I began to dismantle the top end to replace the intake, I pulled the distributor, removed the cap and rotor button and proceeded to put the points. That’s when things when down hill. Unlike newer distributors and models, these points slid down on a shaft that was part of the VAC plate. Long story short, the shaft that the points sit on, pulled out of the plate. Hey, it’s almost 50 years old, but still a bummer. So the search began for a replacement distributor. Luckily, I found the same exact distributor on a forum and had it in hand in just a couple of days. So all the new distro gadgets that I ordered from JBugs.com, went on that distributor. I’m going to sell my original distributor, somebody with the know how can rebuild it or use it for parts. The intake I ordered from CIP1 shipped with that God awful metal protecting black paint. I spent a good 3 hours stripping it down and painting it with gray engine paint. Looks so much better. So that’s where I’m at currently. I still need to strip down enough of the top end to remove the intake which is just sitting on the motor, bolts have already been removed. Once that’s done, I’m go ahead and put in new plugs and wires and adjust the valves while I’m at it. Hope to get a lot done Friday after work. I plan on keeping the original intake, cleaning it out and eventually using it again.

Just Some Pics

Just Some Pics Of MabelJust Some Pics Of MabelJust Some Pics Of MabelJust Some Pics Of MabelJust some pics I took today while we were out and about.

Mabels Home

Mabels home…..

Mabels Ride Through Town

Got Mabel out for a ride around town today…

Walk Around Mabel

A few of you have asked for more pics of Mabels interior, engine compartment, etc..so this evening, I did a little walk around video. Enjoy!

New Trunk Liner

New Trunk LinerNew Trunk LinerNew Trunk LinerGot my new trunk liner from Wolfsburg West today. Very pleased with the fit, quality and price (minus the cost of shipping which was more than the cost of the product). Just what Mabel needed to dress out the trunk a bit. Made from the same material as the original liner, you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Speaker Vibration

Vibrating ScreenVibrating ScreenEver since I got the radio installed in the Beetle, there was this vibration coming from the speaker grill any time the volume was turned up. Took out the grill today and determined that the vibration sound was the wire mesh that sits between the speaker grill and the speaker. At some point in Mabel’s life, some body had installed a piece of vinyl between the speaker grill and the opening for the speaker to keep air from coming through, so I removed that and secured the wire mesh with double sided tape…no more vibration and with the vinyl removed, it sounds so much better.