Category Archives: Camaro RS
Mid November, but still warm enough to get Mabel out and enjoy her. Actually, it was warm enough to give her a final bath for the year. Also gave Ruby (our Camaro) a bath as well. I usually don’t push products, but I have to admit, this Blue Magic tire shine is the best I’ve ever used. I’ve been using it on all of my cars since this past spring and I’m super impressed by it. Unlike others, it doesn’t wash off in the rain and keeps the tires black and shiny, love this stuff. Also got the Mabels valve cover gaskets in the mail today. This was the last item of her “tune up” that I wanted to replace, so I got those installed as well. Unfortunately, you can feel winter in the air and our days of 60 and 70 degree weather is coming to a slow end. I plan to get Mabel out and drive her as much as I can, she’s running better than ever!
After owning Ruby for a few months now, we finally got around to getting her windows tinted. This morning, Lenora took her to Pro Tint to have 15% put on all around. I usually go with 5% all around, but this car is hard enough to see out of without tint, so we decided to go a shade lighter. Still dark, but not too dark. Very pleased with the results.
One thing I wanted to do to our new Camaro was install the same splitter available on the ZL1. After looking at numerous aftermarket splitters, I decided to go with a stock GM supplied splitter. (part #22997426) I also wanted it painted matte black to match the rear fascia. Unfortunately, I couldn’t order it in matte black, but I could order in gloss black. So I ordered the gloss black splitter and 3 days later, it was delivered. Installing this isn’t for the faint hearted. The splitter is a functional accessory that changes the aerodynamics of your vehicle. It’s not a cheap, snap-on piece of plastic. The mounting hardware is precise and if you don’t install it correctly, you can easily screw up your front clip. The splitter has 42 mounts that hold it in place and if you don’t install the mounting hardware correctly, it simply will not fit correctly. A very costly mistake. The first evening, I spent many hours sanding the gloss black splitter with 800 grit sandpaper, prepping the surface for the matte black paint and cleaning it thoroughly before painting it. This was the easy part. By the next morning, the paint was dry and turned out perfectly. Next came the hard part. Installing the mounting hardware was very nerve wracking. I was about to drill 25 holes into the front clip of a brand new car. Needless to say, I measured more than 1 time. More like 30 times. Once I was satisfied I had the mounting hardware where it needed to be, I started drilling. A couple of hours later, the mouting hardware was secure and it was time to fit the splitter. It fit perfectly and I was relieved. So, if this is something you’d consider doing to save yourself about 300 dollars, I say go for it. Just be patient. Measure more than once, twice or even three times. I’m very pleased with the end result.