Popout Window Hinge/Lock Cleanup
Wanting to kill some time last night before it turns cold again, I decided to clean up the popout window hinges and locks. These are OG and in pretty bad condition, I was hoping that they’d clean up better, but they’re pitted pretty bad and the knobs are dried and cracked. Still, I’d rather clean up the original parts the best the I can instead of buying new hinges of a much lesser quality. And like I mentioned in an earlier post, this car has survived 50 years, she’s going to have some wear and battle scars, I think those bring out her character. Anyhow, the hinges and locks are pretty easy to remove. Three screws secure it to the inner C pillar and a little retaining clip secures it to the popout glass. There are 2 rubber washers that go between the retainer on the glass and the hinge arm. These rubber seals/washers were replaced with new ones. The little retainer clip (pic #2) is easy to remove, you can push it out with a tiny screwdriver or pull it out with needle nose pliers. It will test your patience when you put everything back together, especially if you’re replacing the rubber seal/washers. The knobs are weathered and cracked, but they’re not falling apart, so I cleaned them up with some 800 grit sandpaper and filled in what I could with glazing putting. After another sanding with 1000 grit sand paper, I applied some primer, wet sanded, then painted. They’re not perfect, but better than when I started. I took some steel wool to all of the chrome parts and finished with some chrome polish. Again, not perfect, but better than when I started. I did this to both sides, the whole process took a few hours. I’ll eventually replace these hinges/locks when I come across another OG set that’s in better condition. But for now, this will do.
(Visited 61 times, 1 visits today)