Monthly Archives: March 2017

Popout Window Hinge/Lock Cleanup

Popout Window Lock CleanupPopout Window Lock CleanupPopout Window Lock CleanupPopout Window Lock CleanupPopout Window Lock CleanupPopout Window Lock CleanupPopout Window Lock CleanupPopout Window Lock CleanupWanting to kill some time last night before it turns cold again, I decided to clean up the popout window hinges and locks. These are OG and in pretty bad condition, I was hoping that they’d clean up better, but they’re pitted pretty bad and the knobs are dried and cracked. Still, I’d rather clean up the original parts the best the I can instead of buying new hinges of a much lesser quality. And like I mentioned in an earlier post, this car has survived 50 years, she’s going to have some wear and battle scars, I think those bring out her character. Anyhow, the hinges and locks are pretty easy to remove. Three screws secure it to the inner C pillar and a little retaining clip secures it to the popout glass. There are 2 rubber washers that go between the retainer on the glass and the hinge arm. These rubber seals/washers were replaced with new ones. The little retainer clip (pic #2) is easy to remove, you can push it out with a tiny screwdriver or pull it out with needle nose pliers. It will test your patience when you put everything back together, especially if you’re replacing the rubber seal/washers. The knobs are weathered and cracked, but they’re not falling apart, so I cleaned them up with some 800 grit sandpaper and filled in what I could with glazing putting. After another sanding with 1000 grit sand paper, I applied some primer, wet sanded, then painted. They’re not perfect, but better than when I started. I took some steel wool to all of the chrome parts and finished with some chrome polish. Again, not perfect, but better than when I started. I did this to both sides, the whole process took a few hours. I’ll eventually replace these hinges/locks when I come across another OG set that’s in better condition. But for now, this will do.