Monthly Archives: February 2016
The previous owner of Mabel had about 95% of the interior restored when I bought her. One thing that has bugged me was the lack of arm rests on the door panels, my guess is that they ditched the old ones when the door panels were replaced. Have been looking for months for a good deal on OG arm rests and finally came across one the other day while searching the classified’s on TheSamba.com. Got in contact with the seller and he made me a deal that I couldn’t resist. 20 bucks for OG arm rests and mounting hardware that are in excellent condition. Couldn’t pass up the deal, hopefully they’ll be here in a few days. Now I just have to get the door panels off without screwing them up.
Between last night and this evening, I got a lot done on the deck lid wall light. Got the shelf stained and sealed, it turned out exactly the way that I wanted it to. Made a trip to Hobby Lobby and picked up the light for the license plate hood. Got all of the wiring secured. Modified the license plate hood so the light would fit properly. Put everything together and hung it for a test fitting. I’m already working on another unit for a friend of mine, so I’m using the orange license plate hood until I can get my blue one put back one. Still waiting for the seal for the license plate hood, hopefully that will be here tomorrow or Friday and I can wrap this project up and call it complete. I’m very happy with the way it has turned out so far. Hope to get a pic of the finished product in a day or two.
Got the seal for license plate hood in the mail today, so I buttoned up this project. So I ended up with less than 20 dollars in the whole project, but keep in mind, many of the parts where donated. Looking forward to finishing another one for a friend who donated some parts to this one. I’m very, very pleased with the way it turned out.
Picked up a couple new die cast to add to the collection while I was at Hobby Lobby this evening. Nicely detailed M2 Machines. One on the left is a 1960 VW Delivery Van and the one on the right is a 1967 VW Beetle Deluxe. Best part of the purchase is that both were 50% off, got both for around 10 bucks.
I got the LED strip installed on the inner part of the deck lid that will provide back lighting. A friend of mine had ordered a bunch of these on Ebay, so he gave me a set to test. The strip can be cut and soldered in various lengths and double sided tape secures it to the deck lid. These are RGB LED strips, so they can display just about any color at any brightness. Pretty cool! A little bit of cable management and so far, I’m very happy with the results. Just need to make it to Hobby Lobby to pick up the light for the license plate housing, stain (maple) and seal the shelf, then hang it. I’ve already got a request for 2 more.
I’ll just leave you guessing with this pic. But I’ll tell you this….it will not go on a car. It will have a lot more rust on it when I’m finished. It will be functional and serve a purpose. I don’t have a plan for this project, I’m just winging it as I go. Don’t want to have a lot of money into the project, so I’m using spare parts around the garage. If I can do what I want to do for less than 50 dollars, I’ll be very happy!
Started with a donated deck lid from a friend of mine. It was actually in really good condition, so I began the process of aging it a bit. Trying to make it look like it’s been sitting in a field for about 20 years. Started by replacing the license plate light hood that I had laying around, also ordered a gasket for the hood. So far, I’m 12 dollars in to the project. Finished the night with some light sanding. BTW, as a rusting agent, I’m using 1 part white vinegar, 1 part hydrogen peroxide and 1 part table salt…heat the area, apply the mixture and let it sit. Works like a charm…!
Finished doing all of the sanding that I’m going to do on the deck lid. The idea is to have it look like it’s been sitting in a field for many years. As I mentioned before, I used a mixture of table salt, hydrogen peroxide and white vinegar on the bare metal to start the rusting process. So far, I’m very pleased with the results. I also had to modify the license plate light housing to accept the new light that I’ll be using. Still need to make a trip to Hobby Lobby to find what I’m looking for.
Finished the rust enhancement, sanding and got everything clear coated in a satin finish. Mounted the license plate, cleaned up the deck lid release and fitted the license plate light hood. Ordered the proper seal for the hood, should be here some time next week. Still need to make a trip to Hobby Lobby to pick up the light, then I need to determine if I’m going to make this just a light fixture or a shelf. All in due time…. 🙂
Got the wood cut for the shelf and the VW badge installed. Still haven’t decided exactly what I’m going to do with the shelf. I cut this prototype out of 2×12, I don’t know if I’m going to stay with that or maybe try a 1×12. Also don’t know if I’m going to stain the wood or paint it. The overall weight of the entire display is much lighter than it looks. Hanging it, even while using the 2×12 for the shelf, shouldn’t be a problem. So far, I’m very pleased with the results… 🙂