Monthly Archives: January 2015

New Dog House Shroud

New ShroudIntakeGot my new dog house shroud from Chircoestore today. Again, very pleased with the quality and price, but disappointed that there are no threaded studs to mount the distributor. May look into getting a threaded insert riveter, that should take care of that problem. I’ve seen where others have used these on their rockers for running board installs. Also received the dual port intake that I had ordered, but have since come across an OEM intake. So I’ll have a spare….

New Rear Engine Tin

Breast TinTest fitting my new rear engine tin that I ordered for Chircoestore.com via Ebay. Not running heat, so this is exactly what I needed. Fitment is perfect and very pleased with the quality. I have quite a mixture of OEM and aftermarket tins and so far, they all match up perfectly. I’ve read where others have had issues with this, but so far, I’ve been lucky. Shroud should be here tomorrow!

Even The Small Parts Count

Throttle Cable TubeNew throttle cable tube!

Starter Cleanup

StarterStarterWorked on the first non-engine piece of the Beetle in a while today. Though I guess the starter could be considered part of the motor assembly as a whole. Waiting to finish the tins on the motor, then it’ll be time to adjust the valves, set the engine aside for awhile and get back to body work. So today, I took the starter a part, cleaned it and gave it a fresh coat of paint. It worked like a charm before the Beetle was disassembled, no reason it shouldn’t work like a charm when everything is put back together.

More Progress

IntakeIntakeNew IntakeNew IntakeCarb RebuildReplacement intake prepped, painted and installed today. The one that was on the car had a broken heat riser, so it was replace with another OEM intake that just needed a little TLC. I’m very pleased with the way it turned out. Also started the carb rebuild. I want to give a big shout out to Tim at VolkzBitz.com for supplying me with a few parts that wondered off with one of my furry four legged friends. Very much appreciated Tim! Just a few more engine tins and I’ll set aside the engine for now and concentrate on the body. So far, I’m very pleased with the way the engine is turning out. Can’t wait to hear this baby fire up again! She’s been dormant since the beginning of October!

Bonus points if you know what movie is playing in the background.

Odds & Ends

EngineBell HousingBell HousingBell HousingStarterUndercoatingGot the bell housing tin test fitted tonight, very pleased with the way it turned out. Other than getting some new grommets, it’s complete. New throttle cable tube is on it’s way here, so the only tin I have left to finish is the dog house, rear engine and maybe the heater box tin, even though I running J pips. I’d like to use them because the protect the push rod tube from road debris, but I’ll have to make a bracket to connect them to the J pipes. Also took the heat gun to the rear fender well to see how hard the 41 year old undercoating is going to be to remove. Actually came off pretty easy. As much as I hate this stuff, it did it’s job protecting the vulnerable places on this Beetle. It’ll have to wait til warm weather though, fumes quickly filled the garage and it was nasty. This will be an outside task. Also started cleaning up the starter. It worked fine before I started taking the Beetle a part, so it’ll get cleaned up and a fresh coat of paint. Also loaded up a bunch of spare parts in the ’12 Beetle to take to Oak Hill Ohio tomorrow to deliver to a friend who has some parts for me. Gonna be 54 degrees and sunny tomorrow, I plan to take advantage of it.

More Test Fitting

Cylinder TinsCylinder TinsReceived my new cylinder tins today that I ordered for AirCoolinparts.com. Wasn’t quite sure what to expect since I had read some negative comments concerning aftermarket parts. Thin metal, fitting issues, etc. I must say, I’m very pleased with what I received today. They appear to be well constructed, fitting was no issue, everything lined up as it should. Though I’ll still use as many OEM tins as I can get my hands on, I wouldn’t hesitate for second to order these again if I ever needed them. Whether they’ll stand the test of time, that’s yet to be determined, but for now, I’m pleased. Starting to look like a motor again. I have a bell housing tin coming from Chirco that will hopefully be here this week. Hoping that I’ll be just as pleased with it…. 🙂

ExhaustI’ve also decided to go with this exhaust system.

New Hoover Bit

New Hoover BitHad some time after work tonight so I tightened up the heat wrap on the exhaust that I installed last night. Really pleased with the way it turned out. Also received the hoover bit that I ordered from AwesomePowercoat.com. Looks like it’s well made, much better than the OEM hoover bit. Only $26.00 delivered, very reasonable.